Thursday 1 March 2012

Great Expectations

After coming so close to my personal best, I just had to get back to the Wye, especially with the weather staying mild. 
I arrived just as the sun began to creep over the trees on the horizon and although it was the last day in February it seemed like a spring day and I felt confident of catching as I made my way down the bank to the same swim I fished last time. 
Same tactics as before, groundbait feeder with red fish boilie on the hook.  With two trees on the far bank, I made my casts in between the reflections of the trees on the water, this meant it would keep the feed nice and tight drawing the barbel in - hopefully.
Things started well and within 2 hours I had landed 3 barbel, 7lb 14oz, 7lb 2oz and 6lb 8oz.  They were getting smaller not bigger!
Im starting to think my first double will not be from the Wye.  It went quiet for a couple of hours, but I still kept the feeder going in every ten minutes.  It was a glorious day, it felt like the middle of April, it certainly was a pleasure being on the bank, especially after the last two harsh winters that we have endured.
Then I started to get taps on the rod tip, my first thoughts were chub, or worse a small eel.  The taps were too fast to hit, so I took the rod off the rest and touch legered with the line looped over my finger.  With the rod in hand I waited for the next response.  After a couple of minutes I felt a vibration through the line and I just knew the tip was about to move, then it dipped towards the river and I struck meeting a solid resistance.
This felt a better fish, it stayed deep and took line when it wanted, acoss river, then down river towards a nearside snag, I managed to create enough side strain to pressure the fish back into open water.  The fish felt strong as I eased it near the surface and after my second attempt, across the the net.

Biggest of the day - 8lb 1oz
It was a strong healthy looking Barbel and sent the scales to 8lb 1oz.  Long way off my first double.
By the end of the session I managed to land 6 Barbel, an 8, two 7's, two 6's and a 5lber I also lost one to a weedbed, consequence of the mild winter!
A good session overall, but no monsters.  With the river season drawing to a close, I might be able to manage one more session, then my thoughts will turn to Carp, Tench and Bream.

6 comments:

  1. Just come across this blog, makes good reading and I'll be hearing about a double soon. I'd settle for any of the above!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the support Ian, however I wouldnt hold your breath!
    Im looking forward to fishing the Avon in the new river season. I look forward to reading your updates to.

    Darren

    ReplyDelete
  3. Same here, great blog and gallery mate. Dead jealous of your barbel fishing. I've had two in my entire life, and I swung them both in!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Russell
      Thanks for the comments. I look forward to reading about a Barbel in your landing net soon.

      Darren

      Delete
  4. Lovely looking well toned dark whisker there, that was a very good trip, I can see you're making the most of the last remaining days of the season and too right to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mark
      Thanks, I feel my self take shots do need a bit of work. Im off fishing tomorrow, fingers crossed Ill have some practise.

      Delete